There are now over 1,000 independent members (Class D) in Ontario and Quebec! This means independent members, as a group, will have five votes (based on proportional member population there will be four in Ontario and one in Quebec) at CNA’s 2017 annual meeting of members in Ottawa on June 21.
In accordance with CNA Bylaw 11.10,1 the independent nurses group (Class D) is entitled to five votes at the 2017 CNA annual meeting of members.
To be considered as a voting delegate the nominee must:
- Be an active practising registered nurse or nurse practitioner in good standing with her/his regulatory body
- Have paid membership fees to CNA
- Not be a voting delegate in any other CNA membership class
- Not be a candidate running for election on the CNA board
- Be able to attend the CNA meeting of members in person and be present during the entire meeting in Ottawa on June 21, 2017 (proxies will not be accepted):
- Registration of voting delegates 07:30-08:15 ET
- Meeting of members 08:30-16:30 ET
- Be prepared to assume all costs associated with their participation. CNA is unable to cover any related expenses.
Interested members must submit an online nomination form by April 26, 2017, accompanied by written confirmation that the nominee is an active practising registered nurse or nurse practitioner in good standing with their regulatory body
Voting delegate selection process
Voting delegates will be selected in advance of each CNA meeting of members for which they are entitled to vote.
All nominations will be assessed by the voting delegate selection committee, which has the mandate to review all submissions and select five voting delegates, four for Ontario and one for Quebec.
The committee will choose nominees on a first-come, first-served basis who meet the above criteria. The committee will also consider past experience in CNA activities.
CNA will notify the selected voting delegates by May 2, 2017.
Voting delegate selection committee
The voting delegate selection committee will consist of the following individuals:
- Mary McAllister, RN, PhD, president of CNAOntario
- Julia Scott, CNA consultant, membership development
- Josette Roussel, CNA senior nurse advisor
- Anne Sutherland Boal, CNA CEO
- Marc Bourgeois, director of Public Affairs and Member Engagement
The selection committee will be supported by the CNA manager of governance and events.
Pre-annual meeting webinar
All voting delegates will be invited to participate in a pre-annual meeting webinar to review the role and responsibilities of delegates, review the agenda and pose any questions they may have. The timing of the webinar will be announced later.
Approximately two to three weeks before the meeting of members, each voting delegate will receive a package of documents electronically, including instructions on where and how to register on-site. Hard copies and additional documents, if any, will be provided to voting delegates on-site.
For more information please contact Debbie Ross, Manager of Governance and Event at 613-237-2159 Ext. 214 or email@example.com.
1“11.10 As set out in the Articles, each Class D Member is entitled to receive notice of, attend and vote at all Meetings of Members. Each Class D Member shall be entitled to exercise five (5) votes at all Meetings of Members. Notwithstanding anything else in this By-law, a Class D Member shall only be entitled to vote at Meetings of the Members if such Member represents one thousand (1000) or more Registered Nurses, or in the case of the Nurse Emeritus group One Thousand (1000) or more Nurses Emeritus.”