2021 Fellowship submission open: deadline April 7, 2021
Submissions to the Canadian Academy of Nursing Fellowship Program will be invited annually. Fellowship reviewers will evaluate all submissions using the criteria below and nominate the highest-ranking candidates to be Fellows of the Canadian Academy of Nursing.
Prospective Fellows must show they meet the following criteria:
- Demonstration of outstanding individual professional and leadership contributions in nursing (clinical practice, policy, education, research and/or administration), with impact on improvement of nursing, health or health care at the international, national, provincial, and regional/local levels
- Evidence that these contributions have been translated into clinical practice, policy, education, research and/or administration in a meaningful way
- Formal recognition for these contributions (e.g., substantive and prestigious honours, appointments, or awards)
- Evidence of leadership in activities that have had an impact on nursing, health or health care (e.g., research, innovations or developments in clinical practice, policy, education, research and/or administration)
- Confirmed membership in good standing with the Canadian Nurses Association, the Canadian Academy of Nursing and the applicant’s provincial/territorial nursing regulatory body
- Current members of the CNA board of directors and current CNA staff are not eligible for nomination to Fellowship in the Academy.
Before you submit
You will need to collect the required information and documents before you begin your submission. Please note that the process is completed online and once you begin the submission, you cannot save your progress and return to it later.
Required information and documents:
- Your demographic information, including current employer, licence/registration number, jurisdiction of registration and regulator (some fields are optional for those who do not have a current employer)
- Your CV (all styles accepted; must be PDF file)
- A four-part description of your individual contributions to nursing:
- Summary of your individual contributions (maximum 150 words):
Summarize your most outstanding individual achievements in clinical practice, policy, education, research and/or administration. Describe the impact of these achievements on the improvement of nursing, health or health care. The impact can be at any geographic level, including international, national, provincial, and regional/local. Please use language suitable for a public audience (e.g., media release).
- Context of your contributions (maximum 250 words):
Describe the context(s) in which your contributions to nursing, health and health care have been made. This might include mention of the roles you have held and the work that you have done in the context of those roles. If your key contributions have involved teamwork, explain your explicit role in relation to the team accomplishments.
- Evidence of the impact of your contributions (maximum 600 words):
Provide substantive evidence of the sustained and significant impact of your contributions to nursing, health and/or health care. Although different forms of nursing leadership are impactful in quite different ways, we encourage you to try to identify the measurable impact of your work. In addition, include what you consider to have potential for significant continuing impact on health, health care and/or the domains of nursing (i.e., clinical practice, policy, education, research and/or administration) resulting from your work. Be as specific as possible, providing explanation and data to support the impact of your contributions. Ensure that the information listed in your CV/resumé and the nominator statements align as well as possible with the description you provide.
- How your contributions relate to the Academy (maximum 150 words):
Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Nursing implies a commitment to service. How do you envision making an ongoing contribution to advancing the aims of the Academy?
When you are ready to submit
When you have all the required information and documentation ready, log in to the online Fellowship submission system and do the following:
- Enter your demographic information
- Upload your CV (PDF file)
- Provide the four-part description of your individual contributions to nursing. The requirements are provided in the list above. This information needs to be prepared in advance, as once you begin your submission, you cannot save your progress and return to it later.
- Upload completed nominator forms [PDF, 93.5 KB]. Two nominators are required for each person making a submission to become a Fellow. Both nominators must be members of the Canadian Nurses Association. We recommend that you select nominators from among the following:
- Leaders who are recognized and highly accomplished in their careers
- Recognized experts
- Fellows of other academies
- Deans or senior professors in universities
- Health-care executives
- Retired nurses
After you submit
You will receive an email immediately to confirm your submission has been received. We will review your information carefully and follow-up with you on the status of your submission.
Successful candidates will be notified.
Initial submission: $150
Acceptance of Fellowship nomination: $400
Annual fees for Fellowship title: $200