“I have found that having my certification has helped me be the successful candidate for positions that I have applied for over the years.” Read what certified nurses say about the value of earning their credential.
Thank you for your interest in the CNA Certification Program and for pursuing your specialty certification credential!
Fall application window — opening delayed until June 27
This is an important notice for those planning to apply to write an exam for initial certification or renewal: the application window will not open on June 3, 2019, as previously advertised. The application window will be June 27-September 30. Exams will still take place November 1-15.
Why is the application window delayed? CNA is making several improvements and updates to the online system that we use for membership registration and certification applications. We require additional time to ensure the system is running smoothly for members and certification applicants. CNA thanks you for your understanding.
New exams in 2019
In November, we will offer an exam in gerontological nursing to licensed/registered practical nurses and an exam in pediatric nursing to registered nurses. Apply between June 27-September 30 (new dates) to write an exam in the November 1-15 exam window.
Licensed/registered practical nurses: CNA membership will be available to you on June 27, at the same time the application window opens. Members receive a significant discount on their certification application fees.
Retiring exams in 2019
For a certification exam to be feasible there needs to be enough nurses practising in the specialty. This ensures a minimum number of exam writers annually. At this time, five certification exams – gastroenterology, neuroscience, orthopaedic, perianesthesia and rehabilitation – are considered no longer sustainable for CNA.
After much consultation with the respective nursing specialty associations, CNA has decided to retire these exams after November 2019. (Watch this video message from CEO Mike Villeneuve.)
- November 2019 is the last opportunity to write an exam to become certified in or renew certification in gastroenterology, neuroscience, orthopaedic, perianesthesia and rehabilitation (see important dates).
- RNs certified in any of these five specialties will be able to maintain their credential by renewing every five years through continuous learning. Renewal by exam will no longer be offered after November 2019.
Care to Be the Best!
Join the growing network of more than 16,000 CNA-certified RNs at the leading edge of health care.
As a certified RN you are…
- Recognized nationally for your practice excellence and commitment to lifelong learning
- Valued by employers, because your certification demonstrates specialized knowledge
- Viewed as having enhanced professional credibility, because your certification shows you Care to Be the Best!
For nurses in Quebec, CNA certification is accredited by the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec. Obtaining certification can be claimed as 36 continuous learning accredited hours
Important dates — 2019 initial exam
||Exam application period closed
||May 1 – 15
Don’t forget! Fall 2019 is your first chance to write two new exams, but your last chance to write five others.
|June 27 – September 30 (new dates)
||November 1 – 15
Find out more about: