Announcing the Charter Fellows of the Canadian Academy of Nursing
May 14, 2020 — I am pleased to share an update on the Canadian Nurses Association’s new Canadian Academy of Nursing. To help us structure the academy and to develop a rigorous and prestigious Fellowship program, we are delighted to announce the appointment of 12 Charter Fellows of the academy — the highest honour for Canada’s most accomplished nursing leaders in clinical practice, education, administration, research and policy.
The Charter Fellows have formed an advisory committee under the lead of Sally Thorne.
The Charter Fellows are:
- Claire Betker, Ph.D. M.N. R.N. CCHN(C)
- Chantal Cara, Ph.D., R.N., FAAN
- Greta Cummings, Ph.D., R.N., FCAHS, FAAN
- Laurie Gottlieb, Ph.D., R.N., ScD (hon), FCAHS
- Jacqollyne Keath, Ph.D., R.N., R.P.N., CPMHN(C)
- Dianne Martin, M.A., B.Sc.N., R.P.N., R.N.
- Ruth Martin Misener, Ph.D., N.P., R.N., FAAN
- Lynn Nagle, Ph.D., R.N., FAAN
- Sioban Nelson, Ph.D., R.N., FANN, FCAHS
- Earl Nowgesic, Ph.D., M.H.Sc., B.Sc.N., R.N.
- Sally Thorne, Ph.D., R.N., DSc (Hon), FAAN, FCAHS
- Colleen Varcoe, Ph.D., R.N., FCAHS
This is an historic step forward for Canadian nursing and I am thrilled to share this news during National Nursing Week in the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife. Please join me in congratulating our Charter Fellows; we will celebrate them well in the inaugural induction of Fellows as soon as we are able to gather again!
Michael Villeneuve, M.Sc. R.N., FAAN
Chief Executive Officer