CNA and the Canadian Nursing Students’ Association created this list of resources to help students prepare for the NCLEX-RN entry-to-practice exam.
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) develops the NCLEX-RN exam. Courses and materials that are not affiliated with NCSBN or the NCLEX-RN may not reflect the exam’s content accurately. As such, they may be used to supplement, not replace, NCBSN-approved NCLEX-RN resources.
Please note that CNA does not endorse any preparatory materials, courses or host sites. Whenever possible, CNA and CNSA have attempted to identify the most economic source for a product or material.
The following items were selected based on feedback from nurse educators and students, but is not a comprehensive list of all available preparatory resources. We will update this list periodically.
One of the most effective resources NCSBN offers is their series of test plans, which NCSBN reviews and updates every three years. Each test plan provides a concise summary of the content and scope of the exam and will help guide your preparation.
NCLEX-RN Test Plans:
Canadian Educators and Students FAQs
2017 NCLEX Examination Candidate Bulletin
About computerized adaptive testing (CAT):
NCLEX-RN Tutorial. This automatic 101 MB download for Windows is a computerized simulation of the virtual test environment, including samples of question types. NCSBN recommends this simulation be downloaded and run in Chrome.
From provincial/territorial regulatory bodies but of interest to nurses across Canada
Some of the links below offer free practice questions, while others offer sample sets with the option to purchase additional questions.
Unless otherwise indicated, the following apps have been developed for any potential NCLEX-RN writer. They are not specific to Canada. When looking for an app, consider one that provides rationales for both correct and incorrect answers and also tracks progress and areas for improvement. Please note: while the apps below are free, they may offer additional content for in-app purchase.
Resources for purchase
Like the free resources listed in the previous section, the items listed below were selected based on feedback from nurse educators and students. We will update this list periodically. Please note: prices may change at the discretion of the host site.
NCSBN offers an NCLEX-RN online self-paced review course of approximately 85 hours in length. The course is available with a number of study plan options and costs:
- 3 weeks of study at 27 hours per week: US$50
- 5 weeks of study at 16 hours per week: US$70
- 8 weeks of study at 10 hours per week: US$100
- 15 weeks: US$160
ATI Nursing Education
Hurst Review Services
- NCLEX-RN Content Review Guide: C$36.25 for paperback; C$20.99 for Kindle
- NCLEX-RN Drug Guide: C$17.99
- NCLEX-RN Premier 2015-2016 with 2 Practice Tests. This multimedia resource contains book, online, DVD and mobile content. C$36.69 for paperback; C$52.99 for Kindle
- Practice test: US$499 for in person or online classes; US$399 for self-paced courses
- NCLEX-RN Qbank subscriptions range from 1 month to 12 months:
- 1 month: Qbank only, US$59; Qbank plus content review ebook, US$79
- 2 months: Qbank only, US$89; Qbank plus content review ebook, US$109
- 3 months: Qbank only, US$119; Qbank plus content review ebook, US$139
- 6 months: Qbank only, US$149; Qbank plus content review ebook, US$169
- 12 months: Qbank only, US$199; Qbank plus content review ebook, US$219
- NCLEX-RN Question Bank: subscriptions range from 1 month to 2 years:
- 1 month: US$79
- 2 months: US$109
- 3 months: US$139
- 6 months: US$169
- 12 months: US$199
- 2 years: US$299
For more information on the NCLEX-RN exam, the Canadian Council of Registered Nurse Regulators (CCRNR) has developed this list of frequently asked questions.