Home > Becoming an RN > Work in Canada

Work in Canada

Where can I find out how to obtain a visa to work as a registered nurse in Canada?

Contact the Canadian consulate nearest you for information regarding immigration or visas. It is very likely that an offer of employment will be required.

What are the employment prospects in Canada?

Nursing employment is growing after several years of health-care restructuring and hospital downsizing. RNs with skills and experience in specialty areas (e.g., emergency, critical care and operating room) and those willing to work in smaller or isolated communities are in the most demand. CNA is predicting a continued shortage of nurses for the future.

Where can I obtain information about becoming licensed to practise nursing in Canada?

Unlike many other countries, the registration of nurses does not occur at the national level. RNs are licensed in the province or territory in which they work. You can request a prior learning assessment and application forms from any provincial or territorial regulatory body.

As an internationally educated nurse, how do I begin the process of becoming an RN in Canada?

The National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) is a Canada-wide body that provides an initial assessment for internationally educated nurses (IENs) who would like to practise in Canada.

You can begin the process of applying here. The NNAS handbook for applications is a great resource that will help answer any questions you may have.

Will I need to write an examination to become licensed to practise in Canada?

Canadian provinces and territories require that you write an exam as part of the registration or licensure process. Starting in 2015, provincial and territorial nursing regulators (outside Quebec) will use the NCLEX-RN exam from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) as Canada’s entry-to-practice exam. For more information, please contact your provincial or territorial regulatory body and NCSBN.

Quebec nurses will continue to use their own exam. For further information, please contact the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec.

What languages do I need to know to become an RN in Canada?

Varied language proficiencies are required to become an RN in Canada. Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset. Candidates must have knowledge of French to practise in Quebec. In New Brunswick, Manitoba and Ontario, candidates must be proficient in either French or English. Employment and nursing education programs for French speaking nurses are available in Quebec and in certain areas of New Brunswick, Manitoba and Ontario. The other provinces and territories require proficiency in English.

Can I practise midwifery? 

Midwifery is a recognized profession in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia. For further information, please refer to the Canadian Association of Midwives.