We strive to make the process of renewing your CNA certification as intuitive as possible. This page contains important details about what to expect before, during and after you apply for renewal.
You have two options to renew your certification credential:
If you are due to renew in 2019, your credential is valid until December 31, 2019.
Before you renew
When you are ready to apply for renewal, please note that you will need the following:
- Your RN licence number
- Your certification number (contact us at email@example.com if you do not have it)
- A credit card (MasterCard or Visa)
CNA members receive a discount on certification. The member rate is available to nurses who are members of CNA through their provincial/territorial member association or college, except for Ontario and Quebec nurses, who can join CNA independently. Please visit the membership section of the website for more information.
When you are ready to renew
You can renew your certification via MyCNA (formerly NurseONE) from January 10 – November 1, 2019. Early-bird discount! Nurses who renew by continuous learning by June 1 SAVE 10% on their renewal application fees. If you are a CNA member, enter voucher code CNA-RCL-2019 at the payment page. If you are not a member, enter voucher code RCL-2019.
How to access and complete your renewal application
- Log in to MyCNA (create an account if you do not have one).
- Click My Certification on the left menu.
- Scroll down to the list of your current certifications and choose the one you want to renew. If you do not see your certification, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Choose the renewal type from the menu option
- Complete the application.
- Check the status of your application and perform other functions on MyCNA by scrolling down to the My Applications section.
What happens after you apply for renewal
- We will contact you after you submit your application
- You will receive e-mails to confirm your application and payment have been received.
- The review of your application will begin.
- Check the status of your application and perform other functions on MyCNA.
- We will review your application
If you meet the renewal eligibility criteria and your application is complete:
- For candidates renewing by continuous learning: You will receive an e-mail confirming your renewal has been accepted.
- For candidates renewing by exam: You will receive an e-mail from CNA to confirm your of eligibility to renew by exam. Within 10 days of receiving your eligibility e-mail, you will receive two e-mails:
CNA offers exam preparation resources that will guide you on how to prepare for the exam and highlight important documents to use for your preparation.
You will receive your certification renewal package
- One e-mail from Pearson VUE to set up your exam date and location at one of their test centres across Canada. You will have the option to book your exam by either calling Pearson VUE or creating an account on their website.
- One e-mail from Yardstick giving you access to an online practice test for your specialty. The test offers 100 questions related to your specialty and offers the same computer-based testing (CBT) environment used by the Pearson VUE exam centres.
Roughly six weeks after the end of the renewal application period, you will receive an official confirmation letter, new certification pin and sticker for your certificate. Your new certification term will be valid for the next five calendar years.