Optimizing the Role of Nurses in Primary Care in Canada [PDF, 1.4 MB] outlines CNA’s strategies for advancing a pan-Canadian framework to optimize the role of registered nurses and advanced practice nurses in primary care inter-professional teams.
Based on a scoping literature review and key informant interviews, the report offers five recommendations to CNA:
- Conduct a national survey of nurses in primary care.
- Consult with key stakeholders using a variety of strategies.
- Develop a competency framework for primary care RNs to move the NP and CNS roles forward and begin to address issues of role clarity and invisibility.
- Develop a toolkit to enable managers and others in leadership positions to implement nursing roles more effectively.
- Develop a certification process for RN primary care providers.
See more resources on CNA’s Interprofessional Collaboration page.