The call for nominations is now open! Please read our criteria before submitting your nomination.
Nomination deadline: January 30, 2020.
Each year, CNA gives one health-care facility the Employer Recognition Award for exemplary, sustained support of the certification program and CNA-certified nurses. The award ensures employers — both the recipient and those who receive honourable mentions — receive public recognition for their efforts. The award includes acknowledgement in a media release, nursing conference materials and on CNA’s website and social media.
2019 recipient will be announced soon
Congratulations to our 2018 recipient!
Toronto Public Health, which is responsible for the health and wellbeing of Toronto’s 2.8 million residents, has been a supporter of the CNA Certification Program’s community health credential since it was introduced in 2006.
The organization promotes community health certification through e-mails and an internal website. Nursing managers encourage staff members to apply for the credential. Toronto Public Health then pairs applicants with CNA-certified mentors, facilitates and provides time to attend study groups, collaborates with VHA Home HealthCare, and provides access to office technology. The employer also provides exam prep time, resources and study space.
Nurses who achieve certification are recognized with a personalized congratulatory letter, special mention in a newsletter, and a plaque presented during National Nursing Week celebrations. Certified nurses also receive invitations to participate in special projects, some of which include creating best practice guidelines.
The Rossy Cancer Network (RCN) received an honourable mention for its support of the expanding role that oncology nurses play in coordinating complex care and administering novel therapies. RCN created a series of bursaries in 2017 to help nurses cover the costs and lost wages associated with participating in certification study groups and writing the exam. RCN also worked with the de Souza Institute to facilitate study groups for nurses applying for certification or re-certification in oncology and palliative care. Because of RCN’s efforts, 22 nurses were able to write their exam and 18 more benefitted from oncology-specific courses.
- 2018 Toronto Public Health
- 2017 Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
- 2015 Pierre-Le Gardeur Hospital
- 2014 Leisureworld Senior Care Corporation
- 2013 Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- 2012 Hill House Hospice
- 2011 Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- 2010 Jewish General Hospital
- 2009 Jewish Eldercare Centre
- 2008 Bloorview Kids Rehab
- 2006/2007 Saint Elizabeth Health Care
- 2005 St. Michael’s Hospital
- 2004 The Scarborough Hospital
- 2003 McGill University Health Centre
- 2002 Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
- 2001 Halton Healthcare Services
- 2000 Network North, The Community Mental Health Group
- 1999 Mount Sinai Hospital